2015 Urban Water Management Plan
The State of California has mandated that all urban water suppliers with over 3,000 customers prepare an Urban Water Management Plan every five years to examine the availability of water to customers for the next twenty years. The plan requirements are described in the California Water Code Section 10610 through 10634. The plan is available here.
Water Conservation Hotline
The City of Delano is providing a Water Conservation Hotline for the community to assist the city in conserving our water for domestic use and drinking purposes. If you have seen water usage contrary to the adopted water ordinance, you can call 661-720-5499, or use our contact form and selecting the water conservation option.
Water Conservation Ordinance
AS PER NEW STATE MANDATE, THE CITY OF DELANO MUST CONTINUE TO SAVE WATER, EVEN THOUGH THE DROUGHT HAS BEEN REDUCED.
As of May 1 2017, the City of Delano is back to THREE DAYS PER WEEK outdoor watering as per city ordinance. Residences and businesses with odd numbered addresses may water outdoors on Saturdays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Even numbered addresses may water outdoors on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays. No outside watering allowed on Mondays.
Water conservation practices as per City of Delano Municipal Code Section 13.04.120:
- The use of water which allows water to run off the property or area to which it is being applied IS PROHIBITED. This is specifically in reference to but not limited to the irrigation of turf, ground cover, trees or other forms of landscape that results in water flowing into gutters, drains, ditches or other non-target areas of the irrigation system.
- The washing of vehicles, boats, trailers, airplanes and building exteriors is ALLOWED ONLY ON DESIGNATED WATERING DAYS with a hose with a positive stop device and a bucket.
- Washing down driveways, sidewalks, parking lots, patios, tennis courts or other hard surfaces IS PROHIBITED. These areas should be swept in lieu of using any water.
- DO NOT WATER lawns, ground-cover, trees and shrubbery between the hours of eleven a.m. and six p.m. from May 1, to September 30th or during periods of high wind which exceeds 20 miles per hour. Drip, bubbler and soaker hose irrigation systems will be excepted from these requirements.
- DO NOT FAIL to abate a leak or malfunctioning plumbing within 24 hours that results in the considerable loss of water.
- DO NOT USE an ornamental fountain that does not recycle its water.
- DO NOT ALLOW an irrigation system to operate in such a manner that water is applied to more than an incidental amount of driveway, sidewalk, patio, parking lot or other hard surface or area including bare ground not sustaining plant material that would require water.
- DO NOT INSTALL Blue or Perennial Rye Grass turf except on athletic fields. Blue and Perennial Rye Grass uses approximately 50 percent more water than Bermuda.
- DO NOT ALLOW water to gather into a pool or puddle where it serves no useful purpose but may act as a harbor or breeding place for mosquitoes.
FINES AS PER CITY OF DELANO MUNICIPAL CODE SECTION 13.04.180:
Residential: $50 on first violation, $100 on second violation, $200 on third violation.
Non-residential: $500 per infraction.
Anyone with questions is encouraged to call the Water Conservation Hot Line at (661) 720-5499
Thank you for your cooperation.
Spanish Version of the notice is available here.